Thursday, September 11, 2008

The New Normal

Today, for the first time since I started back to work, I had the feeling of normalcy. Things have finally been ironed out to the point that is comfortable and normal. Dont get me wrong, my life is still hectic, but I know what to expect for the most part, and I am becoming more efficient at the every day stuff, and know how to better multitask.

For example, cleaning and filling bottles once seemed to take forever, but now it goes more smoothly, and Matt knows how to help wash and fill bottles so it alleviates some of the burden. He hasn't been courageous enough to put the extra milk in freezer storage bags yet, which I have to do every few nights to free up my storage bottles to pump into, but he has been a great help with almost everything.

I multitask when I get home by letting Teagan eat and nap in my arms while I relax and unwind and catch up on my email or watch TV and just enjoy spending the time with her.

My morning routine goes well - so well that even when I overslept by 20 minutes this morning I was still only out the door 5 min late. I am enjoying being back at work, and I even have some new and exciting projects coming up. I do miss T, and picking her up is the best part of my day. She even seems to be falling into a more predictable routine with her sleep at home. She regressed slightly from sleeping through the night and is usually up once to eat. Even when I want to get back to sleep, I still cherish those middle of the night wakings - this morning when I swayed with her for a minute after she ate, she snuggled right into my arms and I found myself saying "I know she's asleep already but I'll hold her another minute". She is developing her own personality, and I often say to Matt how lucky I feel to have been blessed with such a great/beautiful/smart/loving child. I have enjoyed every momnt with her, and yet I look forward to all of the wonderful things we still get to experience as parents.

Gotta go - must put this sleeping beauty in her crib for the night.

2 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful experience to be a parent. There is no child that is as awesome as your very own. I have always loved getting out of work and coming home to my family. Now that the kids are in their teens there are some things that we have come upon that are a little more challenging (such as choosing friends wisely, and putting what's important before what's insignificant). Also teenagers are VERY loud. Sorry if you hear us over here.
    I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying being a mommy. Not only are you blessed to have Teagan, but she is blessed to have you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are becoming more normal and regular for you. It's a hard transition going from a working wife to a working wife and MOMMY, but it's the best transition ever!

    ReplyDelete